Saturday, July 18, 2009

Playing With Dolls

Ever since I can remember, I have always loved playing with dolls. I like all kinds, from paper dolls to porcelain dolls. However, my favorite type of doll, the one that has a special place in my heart, is the cloth or rag doll. I remember a long, long time ago, my Grandmother sitting with me for a lesson in sewing. With a few scraps of fabric and some strands of her beautiful and long, thick, jet black hair for embroidery floss (used for creating the doll's facial features), she created the most beautiful doll I had ever seen in what seemed like a matter of minutes. I wish I had a picture of her to show you, but somehow she got lost. Looking back, that breaks my heart. For those who have seen Toy Story 2, the montage where Jesse explains how she was forgotten by her owner brings tears to my eyes every time. The innocence of childhood makes it impossible to realize the emotional importance that items like these will have in your adult life.
I guess that was my earliest memory of falling in love with the art of sewing and cloth dolls. It amazed me how a few pieces of fabric could become such a beautiful creation. For a while now I have dreamt of recreating the doll, but the fear that she won't turn out exactly as I remember her, has always stopped me. However, I have created several of my own dolls. It brings me such joy to do so, but none will ever replace the doll my Grandmother made for me.

These are my Dollies.

She's my favorite. Except for her hair and shoes, she's completely made out of muslin.
This is a close up of her cute simple little face.
This one is a cutie too!
The doll below I made for my nieces when they were younger. Each one got this doll in their very own favorite color. Of course I had to make one for me too.
I Love Pink!

Thank you so much for visiting and walking down Memory Lane with me.

7 comments:

Aimee said...

Hi Ana,
Those dolls are the sweetest!!! My Daughter would love one. Do you sell them on Etsy?

I just put up a new post today on my Blog. I went to The Little French Flea Market. Stop by if you get a chance and leave me a comment :)

Have a great weekend!
Aimee

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

Hi Ana,
What darling little dolls. You are very talented! I've always loved dolls myself too and had some very special ones when I was a girl. Still have the first one my dad gave me, she sits in my little office. I agree with Aimee above, you should sell your creations on Etsy if you do not already. Off to look at your sidebar to see if you have an Etsy store. Happy weekend to you!
xo~Tracie

June said...

Hi Ana,
Your dolls are beautiful! This would be enough to get me to play with dolls again. Just so lovely.
Smiles,
June

Ana said...

Thank you all for your wonderful comments. I am flattered. I'm not familiar with this Etsy store. I'll have to look into it. Thank you for the tip.

Blessings and a great big hug,
~Ana♥

Jacque said...

Hi Ana, your doll story is very touching! I have pics of me with my first doll and stories from family members on how I carried it around ALL the time. My first recollection of having a doll was getting a NURSE doll for Christmas. Those are GOOD memories! Thanks for sharing!

Connie from Big Bear Lake California said...

What a beautiful blog. Had a great visit. Stop by when you can. Connie
thecottagelife.blogspot.com

Dawn said...

I'm so sorry you lost your doll. The ones you make are so sweet! I was just thinking a few days ago about two dolls my great grandmother made for me. The body's were made of dish soap bottles. The clothes were very detailed and fitted. One was a Granny in a black cotton dress with pink roses. The other was a fancy victorian lady in silk skirt and floral blouse. I got rid of them as teenager and really wish I still had them!
Dawn