Wednesday, August 19, 2009

White Wednesday!

W elcome everyone! Today is "White Wednesday" over at Faded Charm. This wonderful weekly event is hosted by the very lovely Kathleen. She has dedicated Wednesdays to all things that are white and to all those who love and cherished them.

I must admit, I do love white and my Petite Cottage is full of white things that I cherish. Today, however, I will be focusing only on one. My most cherished item. My white, newly refurbished 1950's O'Keefe & Merritt stove.

This beautiful piece of art was given to me by my wonderful Aunt Maria. She had this stove ever since I could remember. I recall as a girl telling her that I loved her stove and that I would love to have it if she ever decided to let go of it.

She loves to cook and feed her family, and as her family grew larger and larger (she is the proud mom of 8 kids, grandma of... I lost count on how many grand kids, I think it's about 25+ and great grandma of about a dozen and great-great grandmom of 1 or two. It so hard to keep track.) she found her stove to be too small. When she bought a new and bigger stove she remember what I had said and ask if I was still interested.

Wow! She remembered. Of course, after I stopped jumping up and down with joy, I said YES! Sadly it sat in my garage for about a year and a half (below) before it claimed its rightful place in our kitchen. The kitchen was too small to hold this size stove. But when we finally decided it was time to remodel...you guessed it, I designed the whole kitchen around my beautiful stove.

I love, love, love my White O'Keefe & Merritt stove.


Run on over to Faded Charm and check out what others are sharing on this very lovely "White Wednesday."



Thank you for visiting.

Have a wonderful White Wednesday!

27 comments:

Mary said...

Ana, no wonder you are excited about your "new" stove...it's gorgeous! I would love to have it in my 1950's home...it would look great in my kitchen, too! You are so fortunate to have it...I'm happy for you!

Happy White Wednesday!

Mary

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Hi Ana....Your stove is so pretty! It is really a fancy one. My aunt gave me a stove years ago for our first house, a white one, and that was the best stove. I had to sell it with the house when we sold it years ago. I think it was a Westinghouse. It had a little florescent light that was great for lighting the stovetop. Enjoy!

Rebecca @ Belle Blog said...

What a pretty stove. I can't believe it is still so shiny, it is in perfect condition. One day I am hoping to get a vintage refrigerator. I read an article once where a lady had one and took it to an auto body shop to have the fridge painted pink. Oh how I would love that!!
♥ Rebecca

Rebecca @ Belle Blog said...

p.s.

your sidebar photos are sooo pretty!!
♥ Rebecca

Rebecca said...

Wow that is a great stove. What a nice thing to have from your Aunt.
I can smell the cookies now :)
Have a great day
Blessings
Rebecca

Shari @ My Cottage of Bliss said...

That is so exciting and cool! Your stove is so beautifully shiny and new looking that I first thought it was a reproduction. That fact that it belonged to your aunt and she lovingly cooked many meals on it for her family makes it even more special. Enjoy!

Sandi said...

That stove is beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing and Happy White Wednesday!
Blessings~

pamperedgirl38 said...

Okay Ana I am drooling! I used to have a wedgewood and unfortunately when we moved cross country my husband refused to move it! I have been keeping my eyes peeled for another one. I'm holding out for one with the griddle in the middle like my old one! have a great wednesday1 Traci

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

Hi Ana! What a beautiful vintage piece!!! Such a treasure!! We hope you enjoy every minute of it!

C'est Moi, Julie Marie said...

Hello Ana, you lucky girl, I would love a stove like that... it is so beautiful and the fact that it belonged to your aunt makes it absolutely priceless!...

Lady Pamela said...

WOW - What a beautiful home you have! Great story about your stove. Thanks.

Sue said...

What a great stove. But better than that, what great family memories behind that. That is something you could NEVER put a price tag on. Thanks for the wonderful story. Take care!

Jacque said...

Ana, I LOVE that stove. It is gorgeous AND immaculate, I might add, but more than that--the history is wonderful. Thanks for sharing that with us today!

Annie said...

Ana, I found you through Faded Charm Cottage. That is one wonderful stove with a sweet story behind it. Thanks for showing it!

Rita said...

Ciao Ana,
I love your stove, my husband has been collecting Vintage stoves since we got married. He is been restoring them one by one. My first one was white, second was light green, third was red and this year I have a buttercup yellow. His business closed but we do have the beauties (stoves)with us. I would never buy a new stove. We have a double oven and it's grate for Thanksginving. Rita

Cami @ Creating Myself said...

I love your O'Keefe & Merritt stove too! It has such charm!

Joan@anythinggoeshere said...

What a great looking stove. Happy White Wednesday. Come by and visit.

Simply Dandy said...

I can definitely see why this is your prized possession. Not only is it beautiful but it also has special memories. I love it.

LeAnn

Miss Gracie's House said...

Ana,
What a sweet story and what a sweet stove! Love it!
Rene'
Love your blog!

my home sanctuary said...

Oh I love it too and what a treasure.
Thanks for sharing.
Blessings,
Sherry

The Faded Cottage said...

Hi Ana,
What a wonderful story! The store is marvelous and you are a lucky girl to have the opportunity to remodel the kitchen so the store would fit right in with a double oven to boot. Such a charming treasure.
Sweets to you, Janice

French Cupboard said...

That's so cool!! I love the old stoves. I have a pink one (http://countingyourblessings.blogspot.com/2008/02/goose-pimples.html) And I decorated my kitchen around my stove too. Thanks for sharing.

Blessings... Polly

Cindy ~ My Romantic Home said...

I love your stove!!! I used to have a vintage one in a house I rented about 15 years ago! I loved that stove. It was perfect with the double ovens, and the griddle in the middle!

Regarding your question about my pumpkin candles. They aren't real. They were candles I found at the grocery store last fall. I'm hoping they have them again this year! I loved them so much I even gave 2 away on my blog!

Barb~Bella Vista said...

Hi Ana, I love your stove also! Fabulous!

Thanks for joining the Rooster party and displaying the button. See you on the 28th!

Barb :-)

Cindy said...

Ana, that is a truly gorgeous stove! I had one that looked kind of like that many moons ago. I loved it sooo much. hugs, Cindy S

June said...

Oh My Gosh Ana, I love the stove. Just beautiful, you blessed girl.
Smiles,
June

Pegi said...

I just got a 1950 O'Keefe and Merrit stove from a dear friend. No wonderful story like yours has.