Monday, October 19, 2009

Ironing Tips Part 2


OK everyone, do you remember a few weeks ago I asked for some ironing tips? And remember I said that I would try any and all tips you gals would send my way? Well I have finally done it. I put into practice all your tips and ideas and I'm here to share the results.

Helen Altman, Weeping Iron, 1992

I must say that the best tip seemed to be a popular one amongst you ladies, which was simply to buy clothes that didn't require ironing. I love it! However, as much as I liked the idea, I still can't get out of ironing because my hubby wears dress shirts for work that have to be ironed. Can't get around that one. Thanks anyway! :-D

Another tip was to iron clothes that are dampened a bit...I used a spray bottle. It actually helps the wrinkles come out easier. I love this tip. Special thanks to Charo, Vicki and Jacque for this tip. Jacque, I know you didn't intended your comment as a tip, but I tried it anyway.

Sherry and Cindy S. had the best tip for making ironing a bit more enjoyable. They recommended I put music on or watch television while ironing. It sure made ironing go by faster. Thank you ladies.

I even got a tip on how to iron embroidered linens. This tip was shared by Carol. She said: "Put a large fluffy terrycloth towel on the ironing board and place your item to be ironed face down (embroidered side down) on the towel and then iron well with steam. This makes the embroidery stand up, or puff, on the front side and gives a lovely dimensional effect to the embroidery work. This technique works well with clothing items also." Great tip Carol, thank you so much.
But I guess, if I had to choose a favorite ironing tip I would have to say it was Phyllis' tip. She suggested I use spray sizing. I had used spray starch before but really didn't like it, but this stuff is different. It helps the wrinkles come out easier plus it leaves the clothes feeling like brand new without them feeling stiff. Another benefit is that it makes the clothes smell good. Thanks Phyllis, awesome tip.
This was so much fun. A great big "thank you" to all you sweet ladies for your fun and helpful tips, lovely comments and wonderful stories about ironing. You sure have made ironing a bit easier and more enjoyable for me. Blessings to all.


Hugs and Kisses,

19 comments:

Jen said...

Well Ana...Although I am one of those who does not iron very often these tips will come in handy when I do. Thanks so much for sharing.

stefanie said...

i need some of those tips, thanks

Mary said...

Oh, Ana, I missed this post! I love to iron, and I follow almost all of those suggestions, my favorite being spray sizing...it makes ironing so much easier. I also give a lot of credit to my trusty dusty iron. It is a Rowenta Master. It has a huge tank that the iron sits on, and it irons like a pro. I also have a Big Board, which is a large, rectangular board that sits on top of the ironing board and gives a larger flat surface for ironing large items, like sheets (no, I do not iron my sheets, but some weird women do) curtains, tablecloths, etc...its wonderful! The iron is about $300, but well worth it, and the board is about $100. Unfortunately, the board would not help with men's shirts, but the iron would. Well, my tips are late, but there they are anyway! Happy Ironing!

God bless,
Mary

C'est Moi, Julie Marie said...

Hello Ana, I DO love laundry and housework, but as I said earlier, ironing is not my favorite... when I DO iron, (usually pillowcases) I dampen them too... my mama always had two baskets of ironing... one she called "dampened down" and the other just dry... She used to listen to Liberace while she ironed... I will always remember that... and she did everything with a smile on her face, even ironing... I miss her... Bisous... Julie Marie

Jann said...

Hello, Ana! Thanks for sharing the tips--I will have to try the sizing--I've been using a little spray starch on my hubby's shirts, but don't really care for the stickiness. We're trying to cut down on taking his shirts to the cleaners every week to save money, and I, too, have been ironing the shirts for work! One thing that works for a lot of my clothes (the ones that don't shrink in the dryer) is to let them dry on a hanger a little while, then put them into the dryer on permanent press with a couple of dryer sheets for about 5-10 minutes--helps keep the wrinkles out, and also, that Downy Wrinkle Releaser spray works wonders on a lot of clothes that you have to let dry on hangers!

June said...

I love to iron Ana, and I can't wait to try the spray sizing tip. I have never used it before. Anything to make my clothes look and smell fresher, sounds great to me. Thank you for your post.
Hugs,
June

mary said...

ana! i hope you are having a lovely day...i love to iron....and find magic sizing to be the best thing since hershey's with almonds....or hostess cupcakes!

Vicki said...

Hello, Ana,
I have so enjoyed reading all of your ironing tips that you received. You are a very loving wife to so faithfully iron your husband's shirts! I remember my mother ironed just about everything. I hope you have had a fantastic day! Blessings to you, dear friend. Vicki

Sandra said...

Hi Ana. I will definitely have to try Magic Sizing. It sounds like it is a great product. Have a wonderful day.
Sandra

junkdreams said...

Hi Ana,
I'm afraid that I have to agree with the people that said "buy clothes that don't need to be ironed" (he,he!!).
Happy day.
xojanis

niartist said...

Hi there, my first visit - and I have to say, love your blog. Hope your ironing was a little easier with the tips! :) Love that picture of the old iron you used first! Your living room is beautiful! I hope you can stop by for a look at my blog, or two ... ;) take care! Fab job! http://niagaranovice.blogspot.com

Connie from Big Bear Lake California said...

I really hate to iron!! But just imagine how it was before electricity!! Hugs, Connie

Claudia said...

I am enjoying these tips! Thanks for posting them - I will definitely try some!

Cindy-Stitches-N-Stuff said...

Hi Ana, love you post. I have ironed a white shirt for my husband, every day for the last 38 years. I've tried taking them to the cleaners, but I'd rather iron them. It's something I do specially for him. We buy a very nice white shirt that doesn't want you to use starch or sizing. I just use steam. Be sure and spray and wash the inside of the colars before you wash them.

cindy@stitches

Cindy said...

What a great post! I know watching a dvd sure makes my ironing go faster! I got some great ideas from you today! Like I told you back then, my hubby wears alot of dress shirts, too. I don't really mind ironing, it is just a matter of setting aside the time for it. Hugs, Cindy S.

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Hi Ana.....I learned something from your post and how to iron vintage linens..Didn't know about that one! Thank heaven my hubby does not have to wear dress shirts to work anymore! It's all casual now! YES!~Patti

T's Daily Treasures said...

I stay away from ironing as much as possible. My husband is able to send all his shirts to the drycleaners here at a very low cost and I only iron my clothes and for the kids when I have to. Sounds like you got some great tips! I figure the backs of everything will wrinkle when you sit, so only bother with the front side. HA! All I know is when I do iron, I need steam, lots of it! Have a great day and happy ironing! :) Tammy

GWENDOLYN said...

So many great ideas! I keep my ironing board in my office , in front of a window , so I can look out... and I jump on the computer between items. Ha! I used to work at a drycleaners and there it was all about the steam.
Blessings!
Gwen

BellaRosa said...

Ana, Thank you for sharing these great tips, epecially the last two, I always dreaded ironing my embroidered pieces because they ended up looking so flat, now I know what to do to make them look thier best again :) besos, Rose