Friday, November 13, 2009

Holiday Recipe Swap

Stay@homemommy
I will be the first to admit that when it comes to COOKING and BAKING I am a bit challenged. I come from a culinary Mexican family where all the women know how to cook and/or bake, and they all do it extremely well. I'm not sure what happen with me. Don't get me wrong, my hubby and daughter haven't starved, not yet anyway. :-) I can certainly whip up a few things... but I'm afraid it doesn't compare to the cooking abilities of the other women in my family. I think that I can improve my cooking skills by simply trying new recipes and a bit more practice. Which brings me to the reason for this post, as this is a good opportunity to find plenty of inspiration to do just that.
I have joined Karrie from Stay at Home Mommy for her Holiday Recipe Swap. I figure I need some good recipes to start practicing with, and what better place to find them than at a Recipe Swap Party. Yay! I'm so excited. If you would like to see what recipes are being shared, I invite you to give Karrie a visit...just click the cute little teddy bear above....
I don't have any personal family recipes to share with you today... but I promise to stay in the kitchen next time my family cooks together so I can jot some of their recipes down. The holidays should offer plenty of opportunities to do just that. In the mean time, here is a recipe I found in one of those Costco Holiday Cookbook they distribute every year around this time. We tried it out....and I have to admit it is quite yummy. Hope you enjoy it!



Caramel Pumpkin Cake























(1)16 ounce package of pumpkin spice quick bread mix
1/2 cup of water
1/3 cup of vegetable oil
2 eggs
1/2 cup of butterscotch chips
1/4 cup caramel sauce, plus more for garnish
Whipped cream

1.
Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly grease a 9 inch cake pan.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together quick bread mix, water,
oil, eggs and butterscotch chips. Spoon batter into the prepared pan.

3. Drizzle 1/4 cup caramel sauce over the batter. Swirl with a knife in the shape of large circles.
4. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then gently loosen from the pan and transfer to a wire rack. cool completely.
5. Garnish with fresh whipped cream and warmed caramel sauce, if desired. Makes 8 servings.

Bon Appetit!
Wishing everyone a wonderful weekend.
Blessings to all.



Hugs and Kisses,

26 comments:

The Pink Birdhouse said...

that cake looks divine!! I actually have started a ring book of recipes that I have found on blogs, and have gotten some great ideas for new things to cook or bake! I will definitely click on the teddy and see what new recipes I can find to add to my book! My family is loving all the new things that I am trying out, at least it is not the same old thing on the table around here anymore. Thanks Ana. hugs, Debby

T's Daily Treasures said...

Sounds yummy! Unfortunately, don't think I could find that quick bread mix around
here :( Happy baking! Tammy

maría cecilia said...

Good morning Ana, this is my favorite cake, I used to eat a lot when I was an exchange student in Michigan, back to 19... something, nobady cares...
I´m am so impressed for your pictures, you have improved them so much in your lasts posts, I did noticed it but I forgot to mention it to you... your blog is getting better and better, congratulations!!
Muchos cariños y que tengas un hermoso fin de semana.
María Cecilia

Cindy said...

Mmm...that looks good! Hugs, Cindy S.

Stayathomemommy said...

Looks wonderful! I hope the recipe swap has helped you to find a few recipes you would like to try! Thank you so much for joining.
~Karrie

The imPerfect Housewife said...

That not only looks good, I bet it tastes REALLY good!!!!!!!! I'll add that one to my list for sure ~ so happy to meet you! ♥

BellaRosa said...

Mmmmmm, Ana that looks so yummy, I think it would go great with my morning cup of cinnamon cafe con leche :) btw have you tried that new cafe that Nescafe makes called "cafe de ollya" my stars with a lil Coffee Mate french vanilla creamer and it is...heaven in a cup, it already comes mixed with cinnamon, lol sorry mid writting this I ran in the kitchen to boil some water for a cup :)back with my coffee and piece of sweet gordita de harina...since I don't have a slice of your cake :) I did learn to make tamales a really easy way and they came out delish...now if I could only find the directions I wrote as we made them, I would be set :) I love this recipe swap idea, I have a great cookie recipe :) Ana, thank you so much for your sweet comments, if only we were near by we could make some great dishes together :) besos, Rose

Willow said...

This sounds so good. I will have to make it. Thanks for sharing.

Willow

Deb said...

sounds yummy....thanks for stopping busy...

stefanie said...

that looks so yummi, i am going to try that, i love simple, my husband loves pumpkin so i am sure he will like it, thanks for sharing

Micki said...

Love the recipes! I will definitely try them and thanks so much for stopping by!
Micki

CC said...

It looks wonderful..this recipe I will have to try. Thanks for sharing..have a lovely weekend.

Sandi@ My Yellow Door said...

Oh Ana, your cake looks absolutely decadent! Mmmm! Thank you for stopping by today. Yes, one pound of shortening for the pie crust. Mind you, the recipe makes about nine single pie crusts! It's great because all you do is freeze it and when you want to make a pie, just take one out and thaw and it's ready! I got the recipe from a lady from what used to be Czechoslovakia. Have a lovely weekend.

Blessings,
Sandi

Lissa said...

okay! first of all... those photos are so beautiful! 2nd. I can't imagine the amazing food you must eat when your mama and family cooks. and 3rd. My mom in law is filipino and when I ask her how she cooks her amazing food she says I just throw in a little of this and a little of that... so I know exactly how you feel!

Sares said...

This looks too too yummy! I've already written it down and have definite plans to make it! Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend Ana.

Nat said...

That looks Amazing Ana...I love it ~

C'est Moi, Julie Marie said...

Oh Ana, I bet you are a wonderful cook! That recipe looks sooo yummy! Wish I had some right now! xoxo Julie Marie

June said...

Oh yummmm Ana! This sounds delish. This swap is a great idea and I imagine there will be some amazing recipes shared. I'm going to head over there now!
Hugs,
June

My Vintage Modern Farmhouse... said...

Oh I am so making that this weekend, it looks so so good!! Thank you for stopping by and for your sweet comment. You are precious.

Hugs,
LeAnn:)

Cindy-Stitches-N-Stuff said...

Hi Ana, you do so many things, I just love you. I am in my sewing room finishing up on an apron I'm making - in - Black and White. It's for my sewing room. I am also strolling around with my followers. Just wanted to say Hi. Your receipt sounds and looks so wonderful. I hope you get alot of receipts.

Have a good week-end.

cindy@stitches

Vicki said...

Hello, Ana,
This looks scrumptious! I am not much of a cook, but every once in a while I get inspired and try to bake something. This recipe sounds like an easy one which I like the idea of "easy". Your photos of your day of baking are wonderful! Have a lovely weekend! Vicki

GWENDOLYN said...

YUMMO!! Looks so very delishious! Blessings!
Gwen

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Ana
I love everything about your site. It is beautiful and this wallpaper reminds me of my home that I use to have.
The cross on the side bar is so lovely. Is it yours
Alsom me and another blooger upgraded on this blog site your on I believe and for the life of us we cannot figure out how to do spell check. She has left another comment on my site again about it so I need to find help for me and her.
If you can understand what I am asking and know the answer would you please let us know. lol
Maggie

Joy said...

It looks delicious!

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Ana,

Looks very yummy! Thank you so much for sharing and I hope that you have fun with your recipe swaps.

Have a happy weekend
Hugs
Carolyn

Its So Very Cheri said...

Number 1--congrats on your special rankings on ALL THINGS COTTAGE.

number 2 I am your new follower. I hope you will come by and do the same. I love getting to know new people.

#rd I would love to have you post this recipe on my Mondayparty that will go up tonight--Its SO Very Creative or my Wed party(up Tues Night) for Celebrate the Holidays.

I want to try this.

cheri