Friday, January 8, 2010

Petite Update On Our New Home Project

Remember a few weeks ago I posted about a little mishap we had in one of our downstairs rooms? It had rained a lot for a couple of days...which we desperately needed, but it flooded the room ruining our carpet and a wall. Well, I just wanted to give you a petite update. All I can say at the moment is that there was a lot of convincing to do on my part...But now, along with the new wall and new flooring there is a patio door involved :-) We had a contractor come over yesterday to give us an estimate for putting in the patio door (we plan on doing the rest ourselves) However, while inspecting the outside walls, the contractor discovered the reason why our room flooded. Long story short...It's an issue that requires attention otherwise the flooding will happen again. You all know what that means. More $$$ Hope the estimate doesn't come back too high. We'll just have to wait and see. I'll keep you posted.

Looking On The Bright Side.

At least we found out what the problem was before we put in the new floor and repaired the wall. Initially that's all we were going to do and we were going to do it all ourselves. Yikes! All of it would have been ruined as soon as it rained again. Good thing I insisted on putting in a patio door :-)


Hugs and Kisses,

17 comments:

BellaRosa said...

Ana, dios mio...when it rains it pours...but see what happens when we are smart enough to insist on something that we KNOW will make our home more beautiful :) I hope it is not as bad as you might think amor...sometimes things happen for a reason right :) Besos, Rose

maria elena said...

LÁSTIMA TODOS LO PROBLEMAS EDILICIOS QUE TUVISTE.... PERO BUENO TODO SE SOLUCIONA UN BESO GRANDE AMIGA Y GRACIAS DE NUEVO POR EL TRADUCTOR(Y PERDON TE DIJE QUE ERAS TRADUCTORA Y ES OTRO BLOG DE SANDY EN BS AS,ME CONFUNDI

T's Daily Treasures said...

I love rain but we don't need it again here because of the leaky roof that can't be fixed until after the rainy season (so I've been told). Glad to know you found out the problem -- even if it means more money, better to get it fixed than wait for the next disaster. Good luck with the remodeling. Best wishes for a wonderful weekend, Tammy

Rebecca said...

OHGOSH...right after we moved into our home 1992 our house flooded. It was a nightmare. We didn't some RETHINKING about what to do as well! In the end we made good choices. Can't wait to see pics!

xoRebecca

sunshine said...

Yes! It is a very good thing that you decided on the patio door!
Hoping that the estimate doesn't come back too high!

Can't wait to see it when it's finished. :D

((Hugs))
laura

someplace in thyme said...

Oh Ana, I hope it won't come back sky high. All the things you have planned sound just great. I hope you will post pictures of the redo. Char

stefanie said...

maybe it won't cost alot, because wood has gone down, and people need work...hopefully, can't wait to see what you do.

Deb said...

good luck Ana..home improvement projects are great once they are finished...it's just the during part that is no fun...

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Renovations are very stressful and water damage is really scary. So glad you found out the cause and can get it repaired soon. I can't wait to see what you do. Hugs, Marty

June said...

Ana I just hate those unexpected things that come up to take all the money. Good luck on your redo and I'm so glad you caught the problem early.
hugs

The Tablescaper said...

Looking forward to your solutions!

- The Tablescaper

Stacey said...

Sorry to hear about your flooding problems. I can totally relate to the when it rains it pours theory. I will keep you in prayer that somewhere there will be a break in it all for you. XOXO

Cindy said...

So sorry about the flood, but I am also glad that you discovered the reason. A new door will be nice and new carpet, well, anything new is always nice. Hugs, Cindy S.

Sea Witch said...

Ana, so sorry to hear about your leaks but glad you caught the problem before you laid new flooring. Renovations always bring surprises, good and bad. You will really adore your new patio door. When I changed out our sliding door to french doors, it changed the entire look of the house and I love it so. Sea Witch

junkdreams said...

So sorry to hear your terrible story Ana....water sure can do a lot of damage! Keep your chin up..thinking of you.
xojanis

Vicki said...

Hi, Ana,
I, too, am glad you found out the real problem before doing the repairs. I had a problem with water coming in to my house and found out there was a repair needed with the roof. I hope your repairs are not too expensive. Keep us updated! Sending lots of love and good wishes your way! Vicki

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Oh Ana....

I'm soooo sorry. I hate it when that kind of thing happens...........I hope you get it all fixed back up ASAP....

Hugs,
Spencer