Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Chuy's Singer


This is Chuy...

My grandmother.


All her grandkids use to call her Chuy instead of Grandma...She use to say she liked it because it meant we were friends and friends called each other by their first names. I have so many wonderful memories of her. She was an extraordinary grandma to me and I feel very blessed to have had such a loving grandma whom I learned so very much from. Thanks to her I grew to love and appreciate the art of sewing...

This is her Singer sewing machine, which she left to me.

Until a few days ago it had been used as a computer table for an extra computer we had that we didn't even use. Hubby thought it was time to get rid of the computer... Now I have my sewing machine easily accessible again.... So what did I do?...

I sewed of course....

I had been using my daughter's basic portable sewing machine for my sewing needs, but nothing compares to The Singer...

It might be an older model...vintage, you might even say, but it still sews amazingly...I love it.

So what did I sew?....

Pretty, colorful throw pillows...

...For my other grandmother, Anita...Well, she's my hubby's grandmother but I guess I've always considered her mine too, especially recently since we've been able to spend a lot more time together and have become closer...La quiero mucho Anita.

Do you wanna know something sweet?....My grandma Chuy and grandma Anita were friends even before I met my hubby. How cool is that?





Hugs and Kisses,

8 comments:

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Good Morning Ana Sweetie...
What a beautiful photo of your precious Grandma (Chuy)and you. It is priceless.

I think it is wonderful, just wonderful that she left to you her most prized possession, her sewing machine. Your pillows are gorgeous and Chuy would be so proud of the beautiful job that you did.

Now isn't that special to know that your Grandma and dear Hubbies grandma, Anita were friends before the two of you even met. What a beautiful story sweetie.

Thank you for sharing this morning. Have a beautiful Tuesday. Many hugs and so much love, Sherry

Cindy said...

Hello dearest Ana,
How are you today? I hope you are well, you are a wonderful sewer! Those pillows are so gorgeous! How I wish I had the ability to sew that well. I sew, but I am a very impatient sewer, if something isn't going well, I just give up.
How wonderful to have such great gramas, I hardly knew mine. One lived in Oklahoma and one in Illinois, and we lived in Washington state and later in BC, Canada. Just toooo far away!
Love and hugs, Cindy

rustandruffles said...

Hi Ana,
Love this story and love the cushions! Happy day!
xojanis

C'est Moi, Julie Marie said...

Hello Ana, what a touching post!... I love the top photo of you on your wedding day with your dear Grandma Chuy!... and also the one of you with your other sweet Grandma Anita... how fun that they knew each other even before you and your hubby met... something very special!... your throw pillows are gorgeous and I am sure Chuy is smiling down at you as she looks at them... I love hearing about family heirlooms and your Singer sewing machine is just priceless!... love to you... xoxo Julie Marie

Heather said...

I love this post. It is a wonderful story about you and your loved ones. Those pillows are fabulous too! You and Grandma Anita looks so cute sitting next them.

maría cecilia said...

Querida Ana, què hermosa tu abuela Chuy, y què lindo que hayas heredado el arte de la costura a través de ella. Y tu otra abuela Anita es una hermosura también!!!
Esa singer es un real tesoro.
Impresionante que Chuy y Anita hayan sido amigas antes que conocieras a tu marido... las sorpresas de la vida!!!
muchos cariños

Gina said...

Awww...what a sweet story! Love the pillows too!

PRINCESSGREENEYE SHABBYCHIC & VINTAGEDREAMS said...

Hello, if I read your Post I must think about my favorite grandma - the was like yours - allways laughing, like an angel - an I larned so mutch from her. I sew with an vintage Pfaff from 1960 - she works and works - I sew pillows from ol grainsacks - it very hard for her.
best regards from a rainy germany
Jacqueline