Tuesday, February 1, 2011

How I Did It: Wreath Project

This is for all of my sweet blogging friends who wanted to know how I made my book page wreaths...Hope it helps.


List of things you'll need....

*Pages from an old book.
*Cardboard circle cutout form. (If you would like a template of the wreath form and leaf I used please drop me an email and I will email it to you)
*Glue ( I used a glue stick and a glue gun)
*Pencil with eraser.
*Scissors
*Ruler

Note: My wreaths are small because I recycled some cardboard circle forms that came with glass containers I bought. They were used to protect the lids. You can make your wreaths any size you'd like just remember they might look a little different if you use the measurements I use for my smaller wreaths. You might have to play around with different measurements to get the desired look.

First thing I did was covered the wreath form with strips of my book pages. They were about 1" wide and long enough to wrap around the form. You can use your own technique to cover your form. Mine took some time to complete, but it was the first thing I tried and it worked pretty well.

This is how I did it...Using the glue stick I glued the strips on one side of the form...

Then I folded each one and glued it on the other side. Cutting any excess as I went along.

I began with the inside circle and once it was done then I did the same to the out side.

Once your wreath is all covered it's all set and ready to be worked on.

Wreath #1: Kindergarten Technique

For this technique you'll need to cut out a lot, I mean A LOT of 2" x 2" squares :-) You'll have to guess how many you'll need...Sorry, I didn't count how many I used.

After you finish cutting your squares you're ready to begin. Grab your pencil and place a square on the tip...either the eraser side or if the pencil is not sharpened, like the one I'm using, then you can also use that side too.

Then you wrap it around your pencil...

Giving it a little twist...

While still on your pencil, place a little dab of glue from you glue gun on the tip and then place it on your covered wreath form.

I used my glue gun because the glue drys/cools fast and my little squares stay in place better while working on the rest.

I was able to place 4 little twisted squares snuggly in a row...widthwise.

Then all you do is continue to glue the little squares all around your form until it's nice and full.

And that's it...It does take a while to glue all those little square in place but I think it's worth it because the wreath turns out beautifully.

Wreath # 2: Leaf Wreath.

This one goes a bit faster and the results are equally as beautiful. All you have to do for this one is cut out paper leaves like this one (template provided above) out of the pages of the book and some out of fabric...I used muslin for mine. Fold them in half, lengthwise to create a crease.

Then fill you wreath up with leaves...As many or as little as you like.



I do hope this was helpful. Please let me know if you give these craft a try...I'd love to hear about it and see pictures.


Hope you all have a wonderfully creative new week.





Hugs and Kisses,

11 comments:

www.MaisonStGermain.com said...

What a great tutorial!!!!Thank you so much:) I am going to try my hand at making them.Wish me luck:)
~Debra xxx
Capers of the vintage vixens

Atelier de Charo said...

Un trabajo impecable, precioso!

Besos
Charo

Heather said...

What a great tutorial! I need something to hang above my bed. It would need to be a large wreath, and I am not sure if I have enough patience! Yours are beautiful!!

Aaron said...

Thanks for sharing!
-Aaron

Jacqui said...

Hello Ana, your post is lovely, how clever you are!! Yes you definitely have patience..
Hugs
Jacqui

Gina said...

Thanks for sharing these Ana. Both wreaths really are beautiful & I can see they are beautifully made as well. (I remember that kindergarten technique! I think we made a wreath out of tissue paper using it.)

Cindy said...

Thanks so much, sweet Ana, I just might be able to do that, it looks pretty simple.
Hugs, Cindy

Willow said...

WOW, that is so easy. Thank you for shairing a beautiful project.

Willow

Manoly said...

Gracias por el tutorial Ana, está perfectamente explicado, algún día intentaré hacer alguna, besitos guapa.
Manoly

Sandra said...

Love it!!! Wow oh wow! I may have to try making one.:)
Sandra

Brittany Girl said...

I really like the first wreath and may get round to making it one day - it's just lovely!
Sandra