Thursday, November 1, 2012

Dia de Los Muertos

On November 1st and 2nd, El  Dia de los Muertos or Day of the Dead is celebrated in Mexico. It is a special day when all family members, friends and loved ones who have passed on are celebrated and remembered.

There are many wonderful traditions that come along with this celebration but I think my most favorite one has to be the colorful calaveras or skulls. It is a common and very recognizable symbol of this day.

Here are a few of my calaveras...
This one is ceramic with hand-painted designs. Found this cutie at the Swap Meet.
These three little ones were a gift from my hubby and daughter. Can you believe they found them at Sav-On drugstore?
Now these two are the very traditional sugar calaveras all the way from Mexico. They were a gift from my mom and dad.
And lastly, a little pillow I made and some cute little foam calaveras made by my hubby, daughter, her boy-friend and me...

Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit.
 
 
Wishing everyone a
 
Happy November
and a
Feliz Dia de los Muertos.
 
 
Hugs and Kisses,

4 comments:

Ido said...

Beautiful calaveras Ana! I love the sugar ones :) Have you ever eaten "Pan de muerto"? sounds creepy no?
Have a wonderful dia de los muertos.
XOXOXO
Ido

Shelia said...

Hi Ana! Oh, those skeleton heads look kinda scary but some of them are cute!;)
Thanks for popping in to see me.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Janet said...

I guess I never really understood exactly what that day meant. I'm so glad you shared it. I really like all your calaveras, too!

Teresa said...

So endearing that you hold to the traditions of the forefathers. I've seen the calaveras here and there but never made the bridge to its meaning.
Thank you for sharing! Blessings,
Teresa