Sunday, May 12, 2013

Awareness Day


Hi Everyone!
Today is
National Fibromyalgia Awareness Day.



Fibromyalgia (FM or FMS) is defined as: 
A chronic disorder/syndrome characterized by widespread pain, tenderness, and stiffness of muscles and associated connective tissue structures that is typically accompanied by fatigue, headache, sleep disturbances and an array of other symptoms.

A little over a year ago I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. Although I still don't fully understand or have fully accepted it I do battle with it each and every day. I thought long and hard about writing this post, believe me, I know all about the stigma of having this condition.  But it was very important for my own personal acceptance process to share.

Although many Fibromyalgia sufferers share many of the same distinctive symptoms, no two cases are exactly the same. Below is how I dbefine my FMS:

F atigue
I rritability
B rain Fog
R estless leg syndrome
O verlapping symptoms
M uscle and joint pain
Y ou never feel well
A nxiety
L oss of a good night and rested sleep
G rief and worry to the power of 10
I n pain all the time (Although some days there is less than others)
A llodynia (Overly sensitive to touch)

There is no cure for this condition but I do have hope that one day there will be. Awareness is the first step.




For more information please visit  the National Fibromyalgia Association website here.



Much Love,

13 comments:

Diane said...

Thanks for sharing....I too was diagnosed in 2010. There will be good days and bad days. Take care, Diane

Darah513 said...

Never knew there was an awareness day but I'm very aware of it today as it's been a bad day (four years and counting). Thanks for posting about it and for the link.

Teresa said...

Why wouldn't you share?

I read the two previous comments and my eyes well up imagining how much more brave souls would like to know you and your Art and believe they too could have less bad days and find in you the understanding when they don't.


Every disease - even every state of mind - carries a stigma. You can't be sad when you have (or everyone thinks you have) all for example. WHO SAYS? It's time to stop others from pushing us around... around their schedules and states of mind.


Well done, Dear Friend. So so proud of you. I'm sorry you have it but I'll take you anytime the way you can. One day - the day you feel like - at a time!

Love,
Teresa



Tanna at The Brick Street Bungalow said...

Sending prayers and hugs your way, dear Ana. Thank you for sharing this. blessings ~ tanna

Vicki said...

Hi, Ana,
I love you! I appreciate you sharing about fibromyalgia. I know this is a very REAL illness! Hope you have a good week ahead, sweet friend! Sending love and hugs to you!! Vicki

Marie said...

Ana, I do hope they will find a cure for this condition. I have a friend who suffers so much. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I am dealing with my husband who is having a flareup with his MS. He has an appointment tomorrow and I hope he can get help and be better when our grandson comes from CA. Little Noah is going to be celebrating his second birthday and I want us to be able to enjoy his visit.
Take Care.
Love, Marie

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Your blog is always so cheerful I would never have known you've been suffering. My mother-in-law suffered for many years before being diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I hope you are doing well now and can get the disease under control. From the comments to your post I can see that there are others out there that can hopefully provide some insight for you. Take care, Anna.

xo, Vickie

Art and Sand said...

I knew nothing about fibromyalgia.

When I read your posts each time, everything just seems perfect. Thank you for making me aware of it and what you are living with.

My thoughts are with you.

Cindy said...

I am so sorry that you have to suffer with this condition. My husband battled it for many years, he has more good days than bad now, but stress brings on the symptoms once again. Five years ago he had been working a job in management and had very good pay, he really enjoyed his job, but because of the stress that one of the bosses created in the office, he ended up in bed and had to quit his job. He lost the company truck and his excellent pay. Only God pulled us through that time.
i hope and pray that you begin to have more good days than bad.
Much love and big hugs for you my friend.
Cindy

Teresa said...

This is a message to your handsome husband: (and you, since you cuddle along in the sofa and enjoy Doctor Who too ;))

Six reasons to watch the Doctor Who finale

As the current run of Doctor Who ends on BBC One, Michael Hogan gives six spoiler-free reasons why it's not to be missed.

www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/doctor-who/10061944/Six-reasons-to-watch-the-Doctor-Who-finale.html

Hope all is well with you all at Petite Cottage.
Love,
T

Cheryl said...

I have this too.... its a bummer :-P Chocolate helps lol....

•♥ Ally ♥• said...

Jacqui said...

Hi Ana,

I have been absent for a while, and have just read your post. It makes me very sad, as my daughter suffers from fibromyalgia and hypermobility. It is debilitating, and my love goes out to you and hope you feel better xx