Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Stars and Stripes Craft

I always love to decorate our home for all seasons, holidays and special days and the 4th of July is no different. And I always try to make a little something to add to my decor. This year I worked on a beadboard flag for our porch...
My parents recently renovated their kitchen and literally gutted it completely out. Of course me, being the sentimental/You aren't throwing that away, are you?/I can make something out of that and still keep a little part of my childhood alive/ person that I am I grabbed as much as I could and ran :-) This piece of beadboard was one of many things that made it back home with me...Hee, hee, hee.
I always get these weird looks from my dad when I ask him for what he thinks is junk...
You'd think he'd know me by now...Anyway, when I saw this piece of beadboard, right away I envisioned
what its next life would be. I love how it turned out. 
To think it started out as this...
And it was so easy too.  Just a little paint, some painters tape and contact paper. 

First I taped off a section with painters tape that would be the blue field of the flag and painted it white...White!? Hold on I'll explain in the next step.
Then I cut some stars out of contact paper and stuck them on. The white is for the stars because the next step is to paint over the stars with blue for the field.
And then I peeled the stars to reveal the white underneath. 
Sorry, I thought I had taken pictures of the rest of the steps but I guess you all know what came next. Alternating red and white paint for the stripes on each plank and a bit of antiquing glaze and voila!
So what do you think? Oooh, I spy with my little eye another project I need to tackle soon. That bench is in dire need of a new coat of paint...Hee, hee, hee.



Thank you all for stopping by.




Hugs and Kisses,

20 comments:

Betty from My Irish Cottage Home said...

It is so cute and I love it. I need to make me one when I get this kitchen done.

Art and Sand said...

I love your beadboard flag and it is more special because it is made from a piece of your childhood.

Enjoy your flag and have a wonderful 4th of July.

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

I love it! Every year I say I'm going to make a wood painted flag, but here it is, almost July 4th and no wood flag. I'm pinning yours as inspiration. I love the bright blue paint you used and your folk art interpretation of the flag, Ana! Happy 4th!

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Good Morning,
I love it! I have been wanting to make a wood flag too..
How cool that you reused the wood from your family home. I would have done that too. You are just so creative Ana!
Sending big hugs your way, Elizabeth

Gina said...

That is great, Ana, I love it! I bet your Mom & Dad will be impressed when they see it. Have a great 4th, sweet friend!

Alessandra said...

Great job! I love it and the i love the memories of this piece
Kisses
Alessandra

Sherry @ Thrift My House said...

I absolutely love it Ana! I first thought it was pallet wood... but the bead board worked perfect for this project! Great job, wait till your dad sees what you made!

Shabby chic Sandy said...

I love it--you did a fantastic job! Have a wonderful 4th of July :)

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Anna,

Love the flag and your blackboard - so neat that you were able to reuse the wood from your family home.
Happy 4th dear friend

sending hugs
Carolyn

laura Madalene said...

Thank you so much for giving us the opportunity to share. Discovered some new great pages.
Beautiful Modern Living Room Design Idea

Junkchiccottage said...

Ana the flag is great. Very crafty. I love the bench all chippy I think it looks great. Have a happy 4th.
Kris

~ Lisa ~ said...

Ana, I love it. We have a bonus room that we call our "TV" room. I have decorated it in a patriotic theme. I have a flag somewhat like yours but I like yours a lot more, it has sentimental value to you and it was a DIY.

Happy 4th.

~ Lisa from Indiana ~

Teresa said...

I love it. I even love the weathered bench but I'm sure as soon as you put your hands on it I'll love it even more ahahah
Happy 4th Dear Friend. Have lots of fun. Rest and Enjoy,
Teresa

La Petite Gallery said...

Ana, This is so sweet you could sell these next year.. Happy 4th be safe and cool. yvonne

Cindy said...

Very pretty Ana I love it. :) Love and hugs, Cindy

Draffin Bears said...

Happy Independence day dear Ana to you and your family.
Enjoy the weekend
hugs
Carolyn

Tante Mali said...

Dear Ana,
what a wonderful post, with this little family story we love to share! O yes, I know how dads can look at their doughters ... :)!!!
You did a very good job on this wooden flag. It's stunning.
Congratulations
Alll my best from Austria
Elisabeth

La Petite Gallery said...

came back to check out that flag. Happy 4th yvonne

Red Rose Alley said...

I love this wooden flag, Ana. You did a great job on it. And the little angel is so sweet. She adds a special touch to your Fourth of July decor.

I hope you are enjoying the summer days.

love,
~Sheri

Red Rose Alley said...

Thank you for the birthday wishes for Nel, Ana. It means so much to me.

love,
~Sheri