Monday, August 11, 2014

Sticky Situation

I literally found myself in a sticky situation and had no idea how to get, well, unstuck so where did I go to for help? Pinterest, of course.

Allow me to explain...

There's this galvanize box my hubby brought back from work a couple of years ago that someone was going to throw out. It's a really nice looking box but the only problem was that it had some product stickers/labels that covered the entire area of both front and back which just needed to go. Well as you can imagine when I ripped the labels off I was left with this...
Here's a closer look.
A BIG sticky mess. Usually I solve this problem with hot water and some soaking time, which by the way works very well for glass. But this is galvanize metal and I didn't think soaking it in water would be such a good idea. So I did a little Pinterest research on the subject and one possible solution that came up was this...
Peanut butter? Yes, peanut butter. Can you believe it? So I figured, I have some in the refrigerator...Yes, we keep our peanut butter in the fridge. Believe me you wouldn't be the first to tell me that was weird. Hee, Hee, Hee....Anyhoo, I thought I would give it a try.
I spread a fair amount all over the front and back and let it sit over night. The next day I took an old towel and wiped, removing all the residue a little bit at a time. However, it did take a bit longer and a bit more elbow grease than I would have liked. Only being able to handle one side the first day I decided to leave the other side for the next day. And I am so glad I did because this time the cleaning went a lot easier and faster. I guess the extra day with the peanut butter really helped :-)
One thing I forgot to mention was that I had taken the labels off a couple of years back when I first got the box and that it sat in my garage until I could find the time and an easy way to remove the residue. BIG mistake. The residue only seamed to have baked on? ( It's the only way I can describe it.) I guess it dried up over time and was probably what made it a little harder to remove. But a bit more time with the peanut butter facial seemed to do the trick.  I guess the amount of time you'll need the peanut butter to sit depends on the toughness of the residue....But it worked and I absolutely love the results. I will have to share in another post what I did with my brand new box. Stay tune :-)


Thank you for stopping by. Hope you enjoyed your visit with me.




Hugs and Kisses,



9 comments:

  1. Peanut Butter. Who would have thought? I can't wait to see what you did with that beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm...I didn't know about peanut butter. I ALWAYS use Crisco Oil or Olive Oil...works right away. I put it on with a piece of paper towel or even a brush...rub it a bit, and the goo is gone!! Works on glass, plastic, mirrors, silver, dishes, anything!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ana,

    And yes, who would have thought peanut butter.
    Have never heard that before. Looks like a nice piece.

    Happy week
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes!! I used to use peanut butter to remove gum from my kids hair.. worked like a charm. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahahahah
    Peanut butter? Really???
    Amazing!
    I once read about an old woman who was applying for a prize. Problem? She had to unstick the labels and send somewhere in order to receive the coveted prize. So one day the company throwing the award received one letter from her that said: "forget about the prize. Send me a jar of that glue because lots of things around the home need to be fixed and once it sticks nothing comes off" ahahahah
    I usually use a product to remove nail polish... really... but not sure what it would do with-your-soon-to-be-wonderful-metal-basket.

    Have Fun!

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad the peanut butter facial worked and I can't wait to see what you've done with the box, Ana!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ana,
    Oh my who new!! LOL peanut butter is not only for eating.
    I think the galvanize box looks great now, very vintage and rustic. So now I want to know what you did with it..do tell
    I hope all is well, its still hot here and I want fall! I am such a wimp in the heat.
    Sending love and hugs, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol who knew? I love the product Goof Off as it's super quick and easy but the drawback is the smell so you have to use it outside. I'm thinking the peanut butter smells a lot better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so interesting, thanks for the tip. you did a great job. I have two of them by the street as planters, yvonne

    ReplyDelete

Please don't be shy...leave me a comment so I know you stopped by...I just love reading your sweet comments, they always brighten up my day. ♥Ana