Monday, April 20, 2015

New Old Chair

I have come to the realization that it is going to take me a little longer than I had hoped for to get my new petite sewing space ready for a reveal. So...I have decided to share the projects I work on for this space as I finish them, and when they are all done I will share with you the completed space.

First project was the "Sew Creative" sign (here)  And now on to the second project...

A slipcover for my new old chair.
Found this chair at a local thrift shop. Actually my hubby spotted it and showed it to me. At first I wasn't sure where I would use it but Hubby insisted that I should take it for my sewing room. Later I found out that it was a chair actually designed for a sewing machine table like the one my grandmother handed down to me. I was thrilled and so thankful Hubby insisted I take it. The seat lifts up for extra storage. Which I also found out later when we got it home and turned it upside down to place felt chair leg caps on it. Yay!
The original brown upholstery was okay, I guess....But I just had to give it a little makeover.
The sweet needlepoint rose embellishment is from an unfinished vintage piece I found at an antique mall several years ago. There was some damage and pretty bad stains on it but I was able to salvage the main rose. I thought it was perfect for my chair.
Here is a closer look. I am so happy that I was able to use it.
And here is the back. If you are wondering if I still have access to the seat storage the answer is yes.
 All I have to do is unsap the center flaps and lift.

Okay, two projects down...


Wishing everyone one a wonderful new week.



Sharing over at:

Hugs and Kisses,

21 comments:

Gina said...

That is such a pretty slip cover, Ana! I really love it.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

How pretty is that! I love it, Ana! The ticking with the floral is such a nice fabric combination. Love the needlework you were able to incorporate into it. I thought it looked like a sewing chair. My Mom had a sewing stool that your chair made me think of. Probably because it had that thick seat area which also lifted up and held storage.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It's perfect for you now. You'll be happy every time you walk into the room. And how nice to have the storage space. I wish they were all made like that! Hugs!

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Ana,

How sweet the new old chair is and you have such a great way with transforming things. Love the little cross-stitch rose. Will be great for your new work room. Have a fun week
hugs
Carolyn

Claudia said...

Dear Ana, sweet friend, this Chair is wonderful! I like it's seeat, where you can hide things :O)
The new Dress you gave him, is georgeous! I just love it!
Well done, my friend!
Have a wonderful day,
sending Love and hugs,
♥ Claudia ♥

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Ana, adorable, beautiful, and genius! How serendipitous for it to be a sewing chair, and your spouse's insistence. xoxo

Teresa said...

Adorable!
We still have some of these chairs around... during the years of war it was recurrent that pieces of furniture had secret stogare places. I have one table that you have to turn, twist and whatnot the top in order to find where Dear Aunts used to hide the family jewels. In case the house was ransacked those heirlooms would be safe. So difficult to find out except when you really don't want to and hop it opens ahahah
Never argue with husband. With your talent nothing goes to waste. Even stained damaged needle point vintage heirlooms. I find so sweet how you rescue pieces and give it new life; lucky them :)
Love,
Teresa

bj said...

Your chair is just adorable...great job..:)

Barb @ Bella Vista said...

Hi Ana, your slip cover is so pretty....such a cheerful and welcoming pattern. I know you will enjoy it so much. Love it.

Barb

Lady Pamela said...

Excellent sewing job, Ana. What a great find. Your husband was right on.
*Smiles*

Alessandra said...

Wow!!!!The new slip cover is just gorgeous.I really love, love, love the fabrics and the vintage neddlepoint rose. Perfect and very romantic job, dear Ana! This chair is very useful too, because you can hide things.
Hugs
Alessandra

The Speckled Hen Cottage said...

Your hubby is as sweet as that slip cover you sewed!!! Love that you used the scrap of needle point and your choice of fabrics just bring it all together...great job! And a crafty girl can't have to much storage.

A Joyful Cottage said...

I absolutely adore this, Ana. It's so cottagey. I have a chair that I reupholstered last year -- Like yours, the back is separate from the seat -- and I've been thinking of making slip covers for it to change it up. I love the fabrics you used and the needlepoint rose is perfect. Nicely done! You've inspired me! xo ~ Nancy

Dee said...

Your slip cover is so pretty and it's great that you were able to salvage a small piece of the needle point. It all works together beautifully. I really like that hidden storage in the seat, too. I can think of a few great uses for that. Don't you love it when you can scratch something else off of your to do list? Have a delightful week... :)

Karen said...

Your chair cover is just darling, I love that were able to use the needlepoint that way, so clever.

Art and Sand said...

Well, that is absolutely adorable and of course I love it because of the red!

Jeremy Barker said...

That chair looks amazing! It was certainly a great idea to just get one from a thrift store, and then dress it up as you see fit, rather than buying something similar for a bigger price tag. Anyway, I hope you’ll share more of your amazing finds with us in the future. Cheers!

Jeremy Barker @ Chiavari Chairs of Michigan

Pamela said...

Ana such a beautiful slip cover!! Just adore it.

SpicingUpIdaho said...

Oh how wonderful it is to repurpose something old into something new! I just love the rose needlepoint being the main highlight of your new chair! Your sewing skills are really awesome, and I love the chair makeover! Just beautiful and so inspiring!

Kim said...

Wow, what a totally gorgeous cover for a totally unique chair. I love the way you used the needlework piece as a focal point. Very charming. Saw your lovely cottage on Nancy's blog today and fell in love. What a charming home you have, I am a cottage girl too! Looking forward to digging in and following along! :)

Carolyn said...

Have a sewing chair that I got at auction when I purchased an old sewing machine. My husband moved it to the basement to make more room in my sewing room. You've motivated me to move it back upstairs and recover it. Yours is adorable!